Translate

Monday, January 30, 2006

The Bridge Illustration


A. Our Purpose: Why God Created People

The Father in heaven has great plans for us. He said in Jeremiah 29:11, “I know the plans I have for you… plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” God made us for three reasons:

  1. To Glorify God.
    God, being all-good, all-loving, all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-perfect deserves our respect and worship. The apostle Peter wrote, “You are a chosen people… a people belonging to God that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” (1 Peter 2:9)
  2. To Know God.
    God wants a relationship with each one of us. He asks that we call Him “Father,” not “Life Force” or “First Cause.:” Jesus said, “I have made you (Father) known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.” (John 17:26 NIV)
  3. To Have a Satisfying Life.
    Without God, life is shallow disjointed and purposeless. God has planned for us to know the joy, love, adventure and fruitfulness that He Himself has. Jesus assured us, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full!” (John 10:10)

    How important is it to you to glorify God with your life?

    How close is your relationship with God?

    How satisfied are you with your life as it is now?

B. Our Problem: Man is Cut Off from God

God is perfect, holy, faultless. Scripture tells us God’s “eyes are too pure to look on evil” (Habakkuk 1:13) and that He lives in “unapproachable light” (1 Timothy 6:16) and “in Him is no darkness at all” (1 John 1:5). Light and darness, i.e. good and evil, are like oil and water, they cannot mix. That is where our trouble begins.

  1. Everyone has rebelled against God. People want to make their own decisions, live life their own way. That is what sin is: mutiny against God’s plan for our lives. It’s thinking we know better than God. And even when we have tried to do things God’s way, we can’t measure up. Paul wrote, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)

  2. Sin means being cut off from God.A branch severed from the tree slowly withers. Being cut off from God by sin, we gradually deteriorate. Age, illness, broken relationships, and hollow hearts are all symptoms of the root cause of separation from God. “The wages of sin is death.” (Romans 6:23)

    Do you acknowledge yourself as a sinner?

    Do you believe that the wages of your sin is death?

C. God’s Remedy: Pay for Our Sins With His Son

  1. God continues to love us.Like a loving Father with a disobedient child, God longs for reconciliation. And God makes the first move. John wrote, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16) But, remember the wages of our sin is death. God, being perfectly just, could not allow our sin to go unpunished. Somebody had to pay.

  2. Jesus came to earth to put things right.Because Jesus was human, He could relate to our sinful nature, though He was sinless Himself. Because He was God, He was “big” enough to pay the price of our sin. Paul soberly stated, “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us so that through him we might ecome the righteousness of God.” (2 Corinthians 5:21) God placed His stamp of approval of Jesus by resurrecting Him from the dead. Jesus is now in heaven at the Father’s side. His work is done. He has bridged the gap between God and man by suffering our punishment and clearing us of all charges. Our debts are canceled; our conviction is overturned. The Judge, after passing the verdict that we are guilty, comes down from His chair and serves our sentence as well! “God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)

    How important is Jesus to you?

    Do you believe Jesus was God in the flesh?

    What do Jesus’ death and resurrection mean to you?

D. Our Response: Give Our Lives to God’s Son

God’s forgiveness is not automatic or mechanical. We must personally take steps to receive it. A gift is not your untl you open the package. To receive Jesus’ death as our own, we must do the following.

  1. TRUST in Jesus and His forgiveness as a free gift.You don’t pay half, with God paying the other half. There is no matching funds program with God. We don’t have to become “pretty good” before we can be saved. Isaiah sets this straight, “All our righteous acts are like filthy rags” (64:6). It’s all Jesus, from A to Z, beginning to end. “For it is by grace you have been saved through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9) Most religions spell the path to God with two letters: “D O.” Christianity spells it with four letters, the first two letters the same: “D O N E.” Jesus has DONE it for you.

  2. CONFESS what you believe about Christ.“If you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:9)

  3. Be willing to REPENT.To repent means to change your mind about how to live this life. We must decide to live God’s way. “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out…” (Acts 3:19a)

  4. Be BAPTIZED.The apostle Pter responded this way to the question, “What must I do to be saved?”“Repent and be BAPTIZED, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38)In baptism we are buried to our old way of selfish living, washed clean of sin, and raised to a new life with God. We believe baptism should take place when a person is of an accountable age and has fulfilled steps 1-3 above. We also hold that baptism should be completed by immersion. The Greek word literally means “to dip under water.”

Which side are you on?

Can you accept God’s love, forgiveness, and heaven as a free gift to you?

Have you decided to turn away from your sin?

Have you confessed Christ publicly?

Have you been baptized by immersion into Jesus Christ?

A Personal Prayer to begin a relationship with Jesus Christ.

Father, thank you for the free gift of eternal life. I know I am a sinner and need your forgiveness. I am sorry for my past sins, and I ask You to forgive me. Jesus, I believe You died on the cross for my sins and arose from the dead. I now open the door of my heart and invite You to come into my life. I realize there is nothing I can do to earn my salvation, and I place my complete trust in You alone for eternal life. I choose to follow You as my Lord. Please make me the person You want me to be. Amen.

E. The Final Results: God’s Purpose For Us Restored

  1. If we have sincerely followed the steps, we can be sure we are saved. God no longer holds our sins against us. He has prepared a place for us in heaven. We will live with Him for eternity. Because of this certainty, we can praise God as He designed us to do.

  2. God’s Spirit, His invisible power and influence, now lives in us. Though God is in heaven, He now resides in our hearts as well. We don’t have to go through someone else to talk with Him. He is always with us. We can know God personally. As quoted previously, Peter said, “…And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38a)

  3. Now that the Spirit of Christ lives in us, we are free to begin the process of maturity whereby we become more and more like Christ. “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do.” (Ephesians 2:10 emphasis added) He also said, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20 emphasis added)
    Although we will not be perfect until we get to Heaven, God gives us the strength to do what we could never do on our own. He makes us more loving, generous, joyful, and faithful. In this way we have a truly fulfilling, peaceful, satisfying life. God will begin to do amazing things in and through us. The adventure is just beginning!

Are you sure you’re saved?

Are you confident God’s Spirit resides in you?

Do you believe you and your heart are in God’s hands?



©2001 Southeast Christian Church of Jefferson County, Kentucky, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your encouraging words! Kind words are essential in these dark days. God bless you Cesar!

Anonymous said...

Hello again. I'm the one who wants to remain anonymous for now. I first commented on your Truth & Humor blog...

[Since I choose to remain anonymous, it may be hard to distinguish me from another anonymous comment. So I'll say this. I will never attack your beliefs. I may point out what I believe are contradictions (like "freedom of choice") in an attempt to gain a better understanding, but I will never degrade or be hostile towards you. Also, I take a lot of time when composing my comments. There are a lot of people out there who can barely write a complete, grammatically correct sentence. So, hopefully you'll be able to recognize me...]

I found this article most intriguing and enlightening...

And it always seems I have more and more questions...

The article mentions that Baptism should take place when one is "...of an accountable age and has fulfilled steps 1-3." I'm assuming "accountable age" varies from person to person. And "accountable" means the person actually understands what is at stake (as opposed to following blindly). I think a lot of people claim faith and go to church, but don't really understand or grasp. In other words, they're following blindly.

Regarding accountability... Since we're all born with orginal sin, what happens to those (such as babies and/or children) who leave this Earth before they've reached the age of accountability? Please don't tell me that they are lost. I would not be able to accept that.

Regarding baptism... I know a lot of people who were baptized when they were babies/children. I was baptized when I was 5 or 6. I distinctly remember the Holy water being poured through my hair; I was not "immersed". I know a lot of parents who quickly baptize their new-borns. Obviously babies cannot "know" what is at stake. When I was 6, I can honestly say I didn't "understand" the concepts of Catholicism. So, are such baptisms being done in the wrong order? The article suggests that certain steps need to be taken before being baptized.

Again, I'm just looking for answers. I'm curious how a Baptist or Catholic would answer the questions I've already posed to you. And believe me, I will be asking...

From your perspective, I already know what's at stake. I also understand that I shouldn't wait too long. Because waiting too long would be the BIGGEST mistake.

So why don't I just jump right in? That would be a long story. For now I'm just looking for answers to all the contradictions I see...

In posing the same questions to other religions, I would hope I don't become even more confused...

Unknown said...

Dear Friend A (anonymous),

Hi, I didn’t expect you to write back so soon, but glad you did. Thank you for saying you will never attack my beliefs. Not to worry – I will never attack yours either, but I will strongly desire you to form a relationship with the One who created you.

I adore answering your questions. I highly admire the fact that you are seeking all the ins and outs of Christianity before making your “religious selection.” I will not say that I sought other religions before coming to Christ, but I have read the historical facts of most. I grew up in the Church of Christ, later moved to a Separate Baptist denomination, and am currently involved in a non-denominational Christian church. Is there a major difference between all three? Nope! Just a few minor differences in the methods of worshiping & praising God (i.e. pray @ altar vs. pray @ pew). There is a saying that all denominations (i.e. Baptist, Church of Christ, Pentecostal, etc.) are 90% the same. I believe it to be true – our main focus is to worship the one True God and love our neighbors as ourselves. In my opinion, the way one should determine how to choose a denomination is based on its “personality,” and whether it mirrors your own. (Or, some stick to the denom. they grew up in.) It is the people that comprise the church, which gives each individual church a different feel upon visiting. For instance, I disliked my experience at the Church of Christ church in my hometown, but might have loved one in another location. In my experience, it is whether or not the people allowed the Holy Spirit to work within them that determined a positive or negative outcome.

To answer your question on the baptism article, you are correct in saying that "‘accountable’ means the person actually understands what is at stake (as opposed to following blindly).” I would not want to ask a person to be baptized who did not fully understand the responsibility of being a child of God or the gift that Jesus gave to them. You perceive correctly that some attend church claiming they have faith, but in reality are lost (blind, as you put it). Just last night I was explaining to a group of friends that there is a difference between salvation and baptism. Unfortunately, many are baptized who have not received salvation. I know someone who desired to be baptized just so they could take communion on Sundays so they would not feel like an outcast. The purpose of baptism is a symbol of one’s newfound faith in Christ. It parallels to wedding rings for a married couple: The rings do not create the marriage, but they are a symbol that something important is held in the hearts of the couple. I can truly rejoice when I see someone get baptized who is awed at the love of Jesus and desires to turn their life over to Him.

In regards to infants/children who die prematurely or nations who have not encountered the Word of God, they are considered innocent; they do not go to Hell. At this moment I do not have a scripture reference to give to you, but will continue to search for some and ask fellow Christians about this topic. No, our Father would not send innocent children, illegitimate adults, or unreached nations to go to hell. These people are considered very precious to Him and He expects we get word out to them that He Is.

Again, I hope I have shed light on the Truth and have clarified some of the unknowns. I have not once regretted my decision to trust in Christ as my Savior. I truly believe He created us, and truly loves us. I also believe every good thing comes from God (James 1:17). Continue to ask and seek. He will meet you where you are. He knows what you need before you ask for it. I hope it doesn’t bother you, but I’ve been praying for you that the Lord would reveal Himself to you. You’ll know it when it happens. Don’t close that heart’s door!!

In Him,
Stephanie

P.S. – Here is some food for thought on the Freedom of Choice: John 10:17-18. Jesus speaking, “This is why the Father loves me: because I freely lay down my life. And so I am free to take it up again. No one takes it from me. I lay it down of my own free will. I have the right to lay it down; I also have the right to take it up again. I received this authority personally from my Father."

P.P.S. - I think you have a lot of common sense about Christianity. Your knowledge of it is not off base from what I can tell. The neat thing is, usually what feels "right" in your heart is usually God's way. It's so neat to have those "right" feelings confirmed in scripture. It makes sense logically because it is God who made our hearts; of course they're going to be in alignment with His Word!! Take care!